Thursday, September 13, 2012

Final Destination - Nepal

Well my worst fear came true....
They forgot me at the airport. There was no one to greet me and it was pouring rain. My flight was the last flight to arrive for the night, there was a crazy frenzy of people moving about finding their way and there I was fighting off the taxi drivers and the "helpers". Like most third world countries everyone is out to make a buck from you. Nepal, especially at the airport is no different. I had no way to communicate with the organization because my cell doesn't work here. So a kind taxi driver offered to make the call on my behalf, cost me $4.00US but I did speak to Tej the director here, he said they would be here in 15 minutes. By this time they started turning off the lights at the airport and I was literally the last person standing, me and about 8 taxi drivers foaming at the mouth trying to "help" me. I kept insisting they were coming. 25 minutes later they are still not there so another kindly taxi driver called again and assured me they were 5 minutes away. Finally they pulled up and but this time there were 4 taxi drivers left to "help" put my bags in the car, then of course they wanted money, but I only had a $50US on me and they were not getting that. So Tej called them off and we were on our way. I crashed big time when I reached my room and for a moment really doubted what the hell I am doing here. But after a good night sleep I feel better today.
view from garden terrace of my Nepali home
restaurant

typical street

Pepsi Cola plant- still in operation

Pepsi signs everywhere

typical street

interesting

typical street

football field (soccer)

where I currently staying

I will post again tomorrow about Kathmandu itself that is a completely different subject.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, Phil! What a time you've had!! Your heart must have sunk when no one was there to meet you! I'm glad it all worked out. Holy! Kathmandu is alot older looking than I expected! The place you're in looks nice though. That Pepsi factory is something else! I'm sure it's going to take a couple of days to get your bearings. Keep the updates coming!! (it helps alot...). Love you and miss you! Di xoox

The Monster in YOU said...

Thanks Di, it's awesome being able to talk this way. I chatted a bit with Marc last night. Feeling better today. yesterday my guide was going to take on the bus downtown but it was so hot and the buses were so crowded and the cows and dogs and motorbikes and smells i told her i couldn't go and we walked back to the house, i will try again today. did you get my skype request?

Unknown said...

I'm glad it worked out for you. Not a fun experience I'm sure though. It is crazy to think that you are so far away and in the future!! ;-) Your place looks decent. Good luck getting settled in. We have been thinking about you lots and sending good vibes. Look forward to another update! Love P C I i & m