Monday, September 24, 2012

The saddest thing I ever saw

Today on my morning walk I saw a little dog lying on the side of the road, he had been run over by a car, his back leg bone was protruding through the skin. I thought he was dead. On  my way to pick up Laxmi at the special school I passed it again only this time it was awake and lying there unmoved , it was getting eaten by flies, the vultures will be there by morning. It broke my heart to see this helpless little dog suffering, I actually for a moment thought of picking up a brick or rock and ending it's life but I did not have the courage nor the strength. Nature will run it's course.
On the way to the school I was walking with Sharan one of the boys in the pictures from yesterday, I asked him if he wanted an ice cream or something, he said no. The kids from the orphanage are so used to not having anything they don't even want it when it is offered. They did make me promise that after the exams next week that I would take them to the Fun Park which is a small amusement park should be fun.
I also spent the morning at the primary school, which is in a separate building down the street, grades 1 -4. There are on average about 25 kids in the classrooms which are about 8 feet square. They are packed 4 to a bench and keep their backpacks on the back of the bench. The smell of urine permeates the building it is overwhelming at times but they are so used to it they don't notice. There is a plan to move them to the larger school, and to redesign the classrooms there. At 4pm I was at the orphanage and the kids sat at their benches, just like the school benches until 6pm which is dinner time. They work, study and draw each day for 2hours after school, no TV here!! But the kids are so happy and grateful to be in a nice home with a great mother and they are so happy to have so many brothers and sisters, they really are a family.

1 comment:

CDF said...

What vivid, and sad, descriptions! I hope you are also starting to feel settled with your role in the kids' lives.